Hoʻolauleʻa i ke ola o Carmen
03/01/2020 @ 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
It’s time for us to Celebrate the Life of Carmen Lightle.
Doug Lightle has invited the UFOhana to come sing, hula and strum some of Carmen’s favorite tunes. Just like the old Sleeping Lady Days!
Here’s a preliminary of the program from Doug:
Del, I know that you had asked me about special songs that Carmen particularly liked – I still need to work on that. And, Mona, anything you know of that were a couple of Camp’s fav’s I know would have been some of Carmen’s favorites. I will leave it completely up to you two to decide what to play & other than Somewhere over the Rainbow & a fav Beatles tune or two. – Carmen was a big Beatles Fan, lucky for us! I think we have a few in our FMs we could strum to.
Mona, Do not be shy about suggesting one of your amazing solos with or without Uke accompaniment. Mona McDowell is one of Carmen’s musical friends, a Cellist I believe, and will probably be performing a solo during the ceremonies. I think she has group called Dancing on Strings and looking forward to playing with them at this event.
Mona – I know I had mentioned Dancing on Strings, as possibly performing. I am still open to that, but also think that your collaboration with Del & the UFOhana could be perfect too. The other number I am asking you all to accompany, is “Circle Game” to be sung by Corinne who cannot play guitar currently due to recent wrist surgery… – Corrine another one of Carmen’s musical friends, I will try and get the sheet music setup for “Circle Game” at the event so we can accompany her.
To give you a rough idea of the event’s flow – guests arriving
- 1:30-2, Guests arriving (do we want live music or recorded music playing? I am leaning towards LIVE) – I’m agreeing with Doug, if you wish to participate be there by 1pm for setup.
- 2-3p sit down ceremony in dining roomm(see attached layout).
- We can do any particular single songs as part of the sharing portion during ceremony, or hold off till all have spoken who want to speak – and then do live music for 30 min??(or however long you need).
- 3-3:30p Ultimately, attendees will be invited to get up & head off to the other 2 large rooms for buffet style heavy hors d’oeuvres, mingling, viewing Carmen memorabilia, etc.
- 4-6p DJ facilitated Motown Dance Party in ballroom
Note – Musicians can be in front, off to either or both sides during ceremony(in “Dining Room” left room on attachment – see below) or at the end of speakers sharing. We’ll probably be setup to the left of the Dining area as you enter. I’m bringing our full gear so you won’t be able to miss us.
Also, the middle room(Lounge) has room for muscians – Maybe if playing upon guest arrival(1:30 -2). This room will have some cocktail & food tables, as well as a Carmen Memorabilia (Serpentine table in center).
As you can see Doug is hoping to develop “a natural flow” during the event, help me be mindful of his needs. You know how I get when I’m on a roll and let’s be sure to share our Aloha with Mona and Corrine their ‘Ohana.
Please register for this event by February 21st so I can give Doug a more accurate head count (for food and stuff):
Bring your Music Stands, Flight Manuals Vol1 -3 (we need to be ready for anything), Book Lights and fond memories of Carmen to share with Doug and his ‘Ohana.
UFOSqL & Nohea